21.7.11

Desperate snack solution: crêpes!


I'll never get over the wonder that are crepes. Seriously, I think they're amazing. One of those beautifully simple throw-it-together recipes that is so versatile, it can be used for a meal, snack, or dessert, depending on what's put with it. They're thin, dense little pancakes, perfect with just about anything! My favorite, and the one I'll share, is with the famous chocolate-hazelnut spread, Nutella.



Good old flour and eggs, I love you.

And it's more exciting for me because I just bought a new blender and this is the first time I've used it!

Hooray!

Crepes...

I've tried a few variations of the same recipe, the main difference being whether to use oil or butter, and whether or not there is water. It turns out that I like this version the best, which, as are most of the things I end up with, composites of recipes I've used in the past. Because this one uses butter, it's a little richer, and browns beautifully in the pan. Either make them all at once (they should be served hot) or make one or two and then refrigerate the batter, covered, for up to 24 hours.



All you need is a blender and a frying pan.

Makes 4.

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons butter, melted
a pinch of salt
vegetable or canola oil for the pan -- not too much; the crepes will swim in oil, otherwise.

In a blender, combine flour, eggs, milk, water, and salt. Add butter and continue to blend until combined and smooth. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, brush with vegetable oil, and make sure it's good and hot. Pour about 1/4 of the batter into the pan and swirl the pan a bit to coat the bottom with the batter. Let the crepe sit for about 2 - 3 minutes or until golden brown, and then flip and do the same to the other side. Serve hot, filled with favorite filling -- Nutella, jam, fruit, eggs, veggies, you name it.

It's like a blank canvas. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment