9.8.11

Summer squash parmesan crisps.


My mother passed this recipe along, having used zucchini from her CSA and finding it to be a perfect way to use up a bunch of zummertime zucchini. (I didn't mean to type 'zummertime' but I'm leaving it.)

A coworker gave me a bag of delightful yellow summer squash the other day from her organic weekly produce haul, along with some kale -- I mentioned before how I'm not a huge kale fan, therefore I'm hoping to find a use for it before it goes bad. The summer squash, though, was too much to pass up. So I grabbed some parmesan and those magical little breadcrumbs known as Panko, and set to work making the easiest snack/side dish ever. It's perfect for as many people as you want to serve because you can make as little or as much as you want. For me, I made about two servings right off the bat, which was approximately one smallish-medium yellow squash.

Recipe adapted from blackjack bakehouse.


Summer Squash Parmesan Crisps

1-2 medium yellow squash or zucchini
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
a couple pinches of salt
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with tin foil and brush with a little olive oil or spray with vegetable/canola oil.

Slice squash into 1/4" thick slices and toss with olive oil in a medium-sized bowl, coating thoroughly.

In another small, shallow bowl, combine parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Coat the squash in the breadcrumb-parmesan mixture, pressing into the squash a little bit so that it sticks. They don't need to be completely coated.

Place the coated squash on the pan and then sprinkle the remaining breadcrumb-parmesan mix on top of the disks of squash for a crunchy, cheesy topping.

Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown, let cool just a little bit, and eat them straight away.

Serves 1-2.




No comments:

Post a Comment